A behavioural change programme for people with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
For GPs, CCGs and Public Health, this approach looks at long term behaviour change; offering an enhanced service for people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease patients that encourages patient engagement, education and long term prevention of related medical admissions.
The Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome Project will:
- Provide instant results from a full range of point-of-care blood tests to educate patients during their one-stop appointments
- Understand local patient views on different ways of education regarding diet, exercise and health lifestyles and support that is required to encourage behavioural change
- Manage obesity and diabetes within primary and community care and monitor progress and results
- Engage community, voluntary sector and supermarket support to manage obesity and type 2 diabetes
- Patients will understand the lifestyle changes required to manage their weight and diet to reduce their risks of developing heart disease and type 2 diabetes, and to master their diabetes where it has already developed;
- Patients will feel supported to manage their health by their GP and the community and understand the 15 healthcare essentials of good diabetes care
- General practice will feel supported to manage obesity, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia and type 2 diabetes within primary care
- The CCG will see interventions that can reduce long-term conditions and hospital admissions due to improved community involvement and patient education and support